Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mixing Dye

Once the dye is measured into the 16oz plastic bottles I add 'dye water.' This is a mixture of 2 cups urea per and 1 teaspoon synthrpol type detergent per gallon. People who are scientific minded tell me that the urea helps keep things 'wet' longer and the synthrapol helps the dye 'migrate.'

Here is a picture of some undissolved dye particles.

I have to shake the bottles really well. I usually turn them upside down to make sure all the dry dye has dissolved from the bottom.

This picture is transferring the dye from the 16oz storage bottle to the 8oz squirt bottle I use to pour dye on the item.

I label all my bottles using masking tape and a sharpie. It is really hard to tell one color from another when they are in liquid form.

This is what I keep my dye in. The crate fits inside a small refridgerator. I use those small bungie cords for dividers.

No comments:

Post a Comment